Of all the souls I have encountered....

We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most....human.
(James T. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan).

I haven't been able to watch this scene yet - I am still a little to close to my own dad's death to deal with the emotions that it would throw up. Yet the words of Kirk I have practically memorized from that film. I even remembering crying when I first saw that film. Nicholas Meyer created a gem of a film and this scene was incredibly heartbreaking. But now...its left the realm of fantasy and film and entered once again into my heart because now we really have to say goodbye to the man who embodied Spock.

I know there was far more to Leonard Nimoy that just one single character he brought to life. He was an actor, director, singer, songwriter and poet. He was a father. But I remember him most as Spock...I am not sure if he would like that or not but as Spock - a Vulcan, torn between two worlds - he inspired me to become a Scientist. Although, I never seen the original run of Star Trek (I am not that old), I fell in love with that universe and those films. I have no idea who introduced Star Trek into my life but it has always been there for as long as I can remember. So Spock has always been there.

I can't help but feel that we have lost someone who made science fiction great and that we are left with a void that can't ever be filled.

Rest in Peace Leonard Nimoy, and although your physical presence may be lost to us, I know your influence and spirit will love long and prosper.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Jafwords.

Comments

A Tribute to my Dad

A Tribute to my Dad
Loved and Missed.

Popular posts from this blog

Warpath - A Star Trek Fan Comic (#FanFiction)

The Texture Tank Revisited - Film

A new week and an update.